Novabase

Novamation's Cross-Country Journey of Forgiveness

The Names (A Poem)

THE NAMES
By Laura Tohe

Lou Hon,
Suzie,
Cherry,
Doughnut,
Woody,
Wabbit,
Jackie,
Rena Mae,
Zonnie,
Sena,
Verna,
Grace,
Seline,
Carilene

"Virginia Spears," the Alegebra teacher calls roll
(Her name is Speans)
And Virgie winces and raises her hand.
"Here." Soft voice
She never corrects the teachers.

"Leonard T-sosie."
(His name is Tsosie.) Silent first letter as in
ptomaine,
Ptolemy.
Silent as in never asking questions.
Another hand from the back goes up. No voice.

"Mary Lou Yazzy.
Are you related to Thomas Yazzy?"
Yazzie is a common Navajo name,
like Smith or Jones.
She rhymes it with jazzy and snazzy.
Mary Lou with puzzled expression, "No."
"Oh, I thought you might be. He's quiet too."

I start to tense up because I'm next
with my name that sticks out
like her sensible black high heeled lace-ups,
clap, clap, clap down the hall.
"Laura Toe."
And I start to sink,
to dread hearing it on the bus tossed around
like kids playing keep-away.

Suddenly we are immigrants,
waiting for names that obliterate the past.
Tohe, from T'ohii means Towards Water.
Tsosie. Ts'osi means Slender.
And Yazzy, from Yazhi,
means Beloved Little One/Son.

The teacher closes the book and
we are little checkmarks beside our names.

Roanhorse,
Fasthorse,
Bluehorse,
Yellowhorse,
Begay,
Deswod,
Niilwod,
Chee,
Atsidi,
Tapahonso,
Haabaah,
Hastiin Neez.

0 comments:

Overview

In 1879, an American genocide began with the founding of the first Native American boarding school in Carlisle, PA.

In 2009, the time has come -- not for vengeance, but for forgiveness. The time has come for a people to heal.

My Role

My name is Chris. I own and operate Novamation Studios, a video production company in northern Minnesota.

I have been given the rare honor of being asked to accompany White Bison on their 6,800-mile journey of healing, forgiveness, and wholeness. My job is to document every step of the way with video, photographs, recorded interviews, and writing.

Updates to this page will be as often as I can manage. Computer and Internet access may be irregular, but I'll do what I can.

Navigation

I consider this blog finished, and have no plans to make future updates.

Thanks to the seemingly-unfixable formatting of blogger.com, there are two hurdles to reading this site easily. First, older posts are archived and must be accessed using the links below. Secondly, the posts are printed in reverse-chronological order. They must be read from the bottom-up.

If anyone knows a way to change this, please let me know. As is, it's simply the shortcomings of a free service.